Now that children have settled back into the new school term and the summer holidays are a very long and distant memory, for some, it’s a perfect time to think about redecorating your home. With the evenings getting shorter each day and there is a distinct nip in the air, we think of snuggling down for winter and making our homes cosy and welcoming. Having planned your colour scheme and bought the wallpaper and paint, it’s important to stop for a moment and properly prepare the room to ensure you achieve the best possible finish.
- Take down all pictures and remove ornaments.
- Remove ceiling light fittings and shades.
- Move any furniture into the middle of the room. This allows you to move around easily – less chance of you tripping over with a full paint tray!
- Cover furniture with plastic dust sheets so you can see what’s underneath and there’s less chance of you setting things on top of it. (The poundshop ones are brilliant – big, thick and £1!)
- Cover floors with dustsheets to protect them from paint splatters and also to provide a non- slip surface for ladders.
- Use masking tape around the edge of carpets to ensure any paint from woodwork doesn’t drip. Masking tape is also brilliant around sockets and switches to ensure you get a lovely clean edge.
- Make sure all door handles, knobs and other details are covered with masking tape.
When the room is fully prepared, get your paint and roller ready and get stuck in!